I was thinking it was about this time last year when I started this blog...specifically for the purpose of capturing all the details of harvest time. So much happens in such a short amount of time - I wanted to get it all recorded.
And in the end, what I ended up remembering most about last year's harvest was the stress I felt in cooperating with 3 different families all with different agendas and ideas on how to go about the process of harvesting. So I am going to strive to make this harvest more memorable in a more positive way. And I think I can do that in a couple of ways: 1. Try harder not to get so wound up about little things and 2. communicate better with my "team" BEFORE the situation is already past the point that is can be negotiated. I think I have learned in the past year that it IS important to make your opinions known - so long as you find a tactful, respectful way to present your opinions - and then be willing to compromise. Communicating your ideas and opinions helps keep everyone on the same page - even when your opinions aren't in agreement. At least you know where each other stands and can act and react accordingly. Choosing to not make your opinions known doesn't really help a situation in the end because you end up getting silently aggravated and the other person doesn't have a chance to try to accommodate your wishes. So enough about that personal growth tangent.
It is the first of June. The spring has been so cool and wet, we've barely been able to get the land that will be planted to spring crops disked to get a kill on the weeds. We've got hay to put down and fertilizing and planting to do all yet before harvest. I imagine harvest is at least 2 weeks away here in north central Kansas. Sounds like combines are rolling in central Oklahoma right now - so we shouldn't be too far behind. But the cool weather hasn't helped speed the wheat along either. We're still just trying really really hard to NOT count our chickens before they're hatched - wishing the storms will stay away from the wheat and that everything can hang on for just a few more weeks until we can get that grain to the elevator!
I'll be posting more regularly now as we get closer to harvest and into harvest. I can't wait to start taking off afternoons from the office to drive a truck!
No comments:
Post a Comment