Tuesday, August 28, 2007

The cow whisperer...

Jarrod and I checked cows tonight like we have been every night for several weeks now...I took along the camera not hoping for much. I've taken along the camera (which I consider somewhat dangerous since I'm just carrying it while we're bouncing around on the 4wheeler, getting on and off it frequently - there's lotsa chances to drop the camera or crash it into things) many times now and had trouble getting the exposures right, the cows sharp, and the weeds out of the compositions.

Anyway, at one of the pastures, I was able to dismount the pony and walk gingerly out amongst the cows. I took along my longer zoom lens for the first time tonight and it proved to be an excellent decision. The cows were comfortable with me there and I was able to blur the backgrounds on a lot of closeups of the cows. I think I walked away with a few shots that were good enough to be framed and considered art (at least amongst the people of the world who find cows to be beautiful beings). ;) So here are some web versions to feast your eyes upon!





The first calf heifer momma that was so protective of her baby that she fought the other cows to keep them away and the fight ended up running over the baby - twice! The baby is doing well and she has been an excellent mother - as evidenced by this excellent photo.













The comedy I catch on camera sometimes - this has not been photoshopped, but you could swere this calf is taunting another young calf.












The other first calf heifer has also proved to be a protective mother. We're calling her baby "dot" for the black dot on the side of its head that I couldn't seem to catch on camera for you. I did end up with this moment on camera that is very telling about how the mommas watch over their babies and keep us humans away from them!










The chewing of the cud when caught on camera is sometimes hilarious! She looks like the cows from the commercial where they trick the tourists into thinking their young child said "cheese!"








The curious little heifer cow. Well she's not so little anymore...but she's also not going to be a mother until next summer, so she was quite curious as to what I was doing out there with my long zoom lens auto-focusing and beeping. She came right up and licked me - more than once. I love this photo of half of her head - should I submit this as a stock photo and make some money on it????


No comments: