Saturday, August 18, 2007

checkin' the cows

Ever since that weekend we went camping and checked on some of the cows a little closer, we've been keeping a pretty close eye on them. Our early-calving fall herd is showing lots of signs of having their calves soon. August 6th was technically their due date. The first week or so, Jarrod and I were checking cows together every other day or so. But then he got busy with field work and it's been my charge to monitor the calving process the last 2 weeks.

I love being in charge of keeping an eye on the girls everyday and reporting the status back to my hubby. If any of the dang calves ever arrive, I'll get to put a tag in their cute little ears too! I guess it makes me feel strong and responsible to be able to hook up the pony (4wheeler) everyday and buzz it out around the 2 pastures and then get it and myself back to town safely. It's just the right size farm chore for me to do. I enjoy watching the daily changes in the cows' characteristics, their daily habits and their attitude/mood changes. I love just being out in the wind on a hill somewhere, the sun low in the sky, the wildlife I see when I'm out there everyday. Little fawns, jack rabbits, buck deer, farm cats, those noisy killdeer birds with the long legs that caw so loudly when I get to the pond with the pony. I haven't been getting much of anything else done lately except checking cows in the evenings, shuffling my hubby around when he needs help, and housework. But it's been a good 2 weeks. I'll post pictures of the cute baby calves if and when they ever decide to come.

No comments: