Saturday, June 27, 2009

Where am I supposed to park the truck again?

Day 2 of Heinze Harvest ended with a bang. A good kind of bang - the lid being closed on the first bin of seed wheat saved and another truck of seed wheat parked safely in the shed so it can be binned this morning. I am cooking dinner today, so I won't get to be in on putting that seed wheat in the new bins for the first time. But it sure feels good to sit down for a few minutes and eat something other than a sandwich during harvest, so it's tater tot casserole and some brownies for dessert for dinner today. I am not as good as Jarrod's MeMaw at making a big dinner for a harvest crew, but I get a little better every year. I had the privilege of stopping at MeMaw's yesterday afternoon in the big red truck to pick up the lunch she made for us yesterday! Those cookies tasted pretty darn good!

We finished up the creek early in the afternoon yesterday and moved to John's place. We cut on it 6 or 7 hours yesterday and I think maybe we're half done. Matthew and I had a hard time keeping straight which elevator each load was supposed to go to to make the split come out right. I got to spend some time at Walkers Elevator yesterday and the girls in the office there are always so sweet. I just don't really care for backing my truck what feels like 500 million feet to an auger while all the semi's roll past me into the elevator. But I'm so much better at backing that truck now than I was the first time they made me do it a few years ago!

We had a little excitement there at Walkers on one of my trips to town - it must have been rush hour! There was 2 semis, me and another truck on my side of the highway waiting to go on the scale. Probably 2 semis and 3 or 4 trucks on the other side of the highway waiting to go on the scale and 5 trucks swirling around in the parking lot there at the various dumping areas. The manager was out running around directing traffic while the fire sirens were going off. 2 trucks full of volunteer firefighters and then the big tanker truck and an SUV full of emergency people all came flying south between all of the waiting trucks. Never did hear if there was a bad fire somewhere - never noticed any smoke when I was going back south to the field either. Then a combine and a header came through the middle of all that. Then about the time I got to the front of the line, some doofus tried to kill his wife and kids pulling out into the middle of all the traffic when he couldn't see what was coming for all the trucks in the way. I tried to give him hand signals and he paid attention to one of them, but I guess he got tired of waiting and tried to scoot out, but he sure picked a bad time to do it! I was cringing in my truck, hoping I didn't witness a horrible accident 20 feet away from my truck and right directly in front of the driveway to the elevator!

So I hope today is uneventful in that I don't see any more near accidents at the elevator, there are no fires for anyone harvesting anywhere and - well - I don't want to jinx anything happening smoothly on our farm so I'm gonna stop talking now! I better get to cooking or I'll never get it done in time!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have really enjoyed reading about your experiences during harvest. Also enjoying your photos very much! I will stop by again!