Monday, June 29, 2009

My fortune cookie says..."many more long hauls in your future"

I didn't get my harvest update written yesterday morning because I was busy making dinner! Somehow the whole morning got away from me, but those enchiladas and chocolate pie were damn good! We were all ready for an afternoon nap after that, but we got up and got back out to the field and got an earlier start cutting yesterday!

We've finished up John's place, and 2 more places in the last 2 days (minus 15 acres here and 15 acres there). Sometimes you have to be creative in how you move the combines down the road, they don't fit easily over every country bridge and every narrow place in the road that you might encounter along the way. So sometimes we'll do half of a place and come back later and get the rest when we are the other side of the bridge for another field, instead of driving all the way around the section just to cross a creek.

I am just glad it worked out yesterday so I didn't have to move the combines up Oppliger hill on the way to the next field. A few years back when I first learing to drive trucks...I tried to move the red truck over that steep curvy hill. Well I got halfway up, had to downshift, didn't get it right and killed it. Then I had no power steering and the brakes become extremely hard to work. I rolled back down the hill backwards and crashed into the ditch and spilled some wheat. I still get a hard time to this day about my wheat crop at the bottom of that hill. And I think now I could probably pull that hill and not have a problem, but I still get a little nervous about it. But as it worked out, I got to take the last load to town and Matthew (bro-in-law) had to lead the combines to the next field - by way of that same hill yesterday! I got lucky this time!

Speaking of getting lucky... (no not that kind of lucky)
Several thunderstorms appeared and dissolved over the weekend, but we were lucky enough to not get any rain out it. I wished I'd had my camera last night as we were winding down, the little storm on the edge of the county line had a sunset behind it and some awesome lightning - and it was close enough I could have shot some cool photos if I'd had the camera and tripod. But I didn't have the camera and it was just as well anyway that that storm fell apart before any rain made it to our fields! So I'm crossing my fingers and hoping for a few more days of good hot summer harvest weather. We aren't done yet!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm hoping hot, dry weather is on your side so you can get closer to end!!