My mother-in-law saved the day this afternoon when she showed up with lunch (which is actually at supper time - the meal at lunch time is called dinner ya know!). That was the first chance I'd had in hours to run over through the brome grass that was taller than me (cautiously looking for snakes), hope that every chigger and tick didn't crawl up my pant legs while I was taking so long to poke through the tall grass, take off my sunglasses so I could see into the grainery in the dark (compared to the bright sun), look for wasps, kick the bucket in case there was critters in there and pop a squat on the makeshift toilet at John's Ranch. No one lives out there, so I should be happy that John went to the trouble of making up a private loo. You know the guys, any soil or straw will do for a pee break, but being the only girl that hangs in the field all day long, I have to get creative with my roadside restrooms.
All bathroom humor aside, today was another good long work day tallied into the Heinze Harvest. We moved out to John's Ranch and I was the only truck driver this afternoon. It's a long haul back to town and I couldn't keep up. Pop used to say "take it easy on the way to town, give 'er hell on the way back." I was doing just that, but it was just too far of a drive for one woman to keep up with the combines. Luckily, about 5 o'clock Matthew got off work and came to the field, Jarrod finished up planting sowed feed and came to the field and Tina showed up with lunch so everyone stopped for a few minutes to eat and break. She brought me some ice for my waterjug that was getting hot and a much welcomed sandwich and gatorade. When I ate leftovers for lunch when I got off work - I thought I'd ate too much then, but by 3 or 4 I was starved again! So tomorrow it's back to work for half a day and then to the field for some more long hauls from Bob's place! There is a nice bathroom there at the house, so I won't have to be too creative if I need to stop along the way!
2 comments:
I feel your pain in the bathroom issue! LOL I remember many times while working in the hayfield or driving truck while cutting silage when it was a challenge to find a private, hidden moment when you need one! Hoping you have a GREAT Tuesday!!
Too funny!
My husband & I always joke because I made him go with me one time to find a good spot because I was afraid of snakes in the tall grass. He said, "There's no snakes to worry about". We went a walking, found a spot and when I looked down at the spot there was a baby snake all curled. My first thought was to never listen to a man, my second thought was what were the odds of that happening.
Post a Comment