Thursday, January 1, 2009

Peaceful chores - even on Holidays

Happy New Year! Some might celebrate the holiday today by sleeping in, but too many extra winks isn't something you can really get away with when you have farm animals to care for. I did my chores a little bit later than usual this morning, but I was surprisingly chipper this morning. I took my camera along and took my sweet time looking the animals over, rather than rushing from chores to work.

I found 7 of the 11 calves answer to my calls even when they can't see me. The other 4 missed out on the goodies this morning. Give them a little more time and they'll figure it out! I found my bottle calf is bigger than the other calves - apparently he's been spoiled with too much grass and pellets lately ;-). The ice chopping wasn't too bad this morning, but the pile of ice from the last few weeks of frozen work still hasn't melted yet despite fairly mild weather in the last week or so.

I can't put into words well the enjoyable feelings that come with doing chores everyday. It's a chance to see the sunrise everyday, see the wildlife, watch the animals, and plants and seasons grow and change slowly over time and all that is not even counting the personalities and quirks of the individual animals you see everyday. It is so much more than I can write or even demonstrate with photographs.





2 comments:

The W.O.W. factor! said...

Oh you just made me miss our cows and the chores that go along! I too, loved doing the winter chores...rising early (most days) to the hungry anticipation of them barreling down on me for chow! And the smell...I do love that too!
Glad you had an enjoyable time today, and keep me filled in. That way I can pretend I'm back amongst the cattle! Shhhh...don't tell anyone, but I MUCH prefer cattle to horses!

BROOKE & CARSON said...

You make it sound so easy...and I know it's not! I'm glad you're enjoying what you do.