Sunday, January 11, 2009

Oh Baby!

We got a little surprise this weekend when one of our new spring cows decided to calve on one of the coldest mornings of the winter so far! Seems like the cold fronts always trigger a calving event! Last spring we expanded our herd and purchased a few cow-calf pairs. Those calves went to sale this fall. By then the cattle markets had dropped so much we were wishing we'd waited until fall to purchase those pairs! Anyway, those cows weren't exposed to our bull until May, so we weren't thinking about calving until Feb - Mar. Apparently, these cows were already bred the day we brought them home, since we've already started calving and it's barely January! Heifer calf born Saturday morning is doing well, the calving went off without human intervention, so it could have been worse! Here are some pictures of the first spring calf born into our herd in 2009!




6 comments:

BROOKE & CARSON said...

Congratulations!! I can't tell whether this one looks like you or Jarrod :)

Farmchick said...

Cute---I love calves...especially black ones!! If that would happen here now...it would not be good!!Stop in and visit!

Country Whispers said...

Hello! Love your pictures.
Come on over and visit. I have something for you!

The W.O.W. factor! said...

Ohhhhh...how I love calving! There is nothing more precious than baby calves! On the ranch in MT we calved Feb/Mar in temps of 0 or lower sometimes..they all got brought to the shop and I got to tend to them! I loved that...want me to come help???
Hey...wind farm country? (notice it in the backdrop)
Keep on posting dear Lady! I love these!

The Wife said...

Nothing cuter than a newborn calf! Thanks for stoppin' by and checkin' me out!

BloggessJ said...

I'm visiting from The Wife's blog. Cute calf.....Some surprises are good surprises right?