Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Day 2 - slow start again

Today was a bit frustrating at first. Jarrod and I took off at noon from work and made it out to the field in half an hour. BUT no one else was in a hurry. Part of it was the weather and part of it is lack of communication. It was overcast all morning, humid, no wind. I don't imagine that the wheat, nor the straw was super dry. But some individuals were cutting before noon. So Jarrod and I thought we could too. After all, there is chances of rain the next few days - why not cut as much as you can while you can? Wrong.
Jarrod ended up planting some milo, so his vacation time away from work was not wasted. I ended up catching a ride back to town and going back to the office for the rest of the afternoon. Which was good I suppose but not really where I was hoping to be this afternoon. A simple phone call could have made the middle of the day go smoother with less wasted time. Gotta make the most of the time you have!
Now it's 6:10 pm and I'm waiting on Jarrod to pick me up at the house. I guess the guys decided to fire up the combines after all and had a truckload cut by the time Jarrod finished the patch of planting he was on. So he's going to pick me up after dumping that load. I hope we get to work late tonight and cut more wheat before the rain moves in - but it's already visible on the radar so I'm not getting my hopes up.
I don't imagine I'll get any good photos tonight - although - time permitting - the opportunity for a challenge could present itself - night harvest pictures could be cool if I can get the technicalities figured out! Speaking of technicalities - I just have to add that I'm a computer whiz! Becca got Internet installed at her house today and the installer could not get her computer working. So she called me! I was able to narrow down the problem and fix it remotely! I rock! Don't expect that to happen so good the next time! :)
Yep there's my ride...

con't...
So we did get to finally bring a few truckloads of wheat to town. Jarrod was totally pumped for some reason to drive the trucks...and the grain cart was not needed on that patch...so I was riding shotgun most of the night. That was alright though because my friend Amy hooked us up with a handful of candy at the elevator!

No comments: