Monday, June 25, 2007

Day 1

I got our first load of wheat to the elevator today around 4...last one around 10. Minimal amount of problems today. Jarrod was leaving a wheat trail underneath the grain cart for awhile. John couldn't get his combine started at first (and then later broke some chain in it). I got a truck stuck in some mud and Jarrod had to pull me out. But all small and fixable. Knock on wood.

The 40 acre patch we cut of Jarrod and I's wheat made 33 bu/acre I think Jarrod said. Not bad. Not great. Won't complain. I think John's little 15-acre patch made close to the same just judging by the truckloads we hauled off it.

Random remembrances:
  • It seems most all of our neighbors are full-speed ahead in their cutting as well. The roads and the elevator were fairly busy today.
  • One of our neighbors jack-knifed their semi in a curve. They must have got it out fairly quickly, because by the next time I came through, they were gone and all I could see were the ruts.
  • It was nice that the elevator had so many workers keeping things moving along and with a minimal amount of grumbling.
  • I only had to pee in the field once today!
  • Gotta remember the sunscreen tomorrow - I think I got my burn today - can't have anymore burn tomorrow.
Notable Photos:










1 comment:

Unknown said...

i love your pictures!
the colors are beautiful.
You are the queen of the farmer wives. They should all aspire to be as excited and helpful as you.