Monday, August 9, 2010

That Time of Year Again

We've had 2 baby calves in the last 2 days! We're just a little early this year - usually don't start for another couple weeks. We saw the first baby last night, but momma had her hid good tonight. We could have spent hours searching the pasture and never found her. The cows must go through bait-and-switch training because it sure seems sometimes like they intentionally lead us in exactly the opposite way from where the baby is actually hidden. We'll just have to try again tomorrow. She was getting around good last night and there was evidence she'd been working on momma's udder, so we aren't too worried about her yet. The other new baby was getting around good too and I did get a few pictures!

Jarrod and his Dad got our 4wheeler fixed this weekend - just in time for this season of intensive cow checking. You've probably heard me refer to the 4wheeler as our 'pony'. It idles nicely now and if I'm lucky Jarrod will let me take the Dodge when I'm flying solo. I do look forward to these peaceful fall evenings checking the cows as the sun is low in the sky. I also included a new picture of that late spring baby that was born in June. She is growing good too!



No comments: